Thirteen Lune & BIPOC Dreams 💋

Thirteen Lune & BIPOC Dreams 💋

Hola lovers!

After a successful run with ten pilot locations, JCPenney is amplifying its in-store inclusive beauty partnership with Thirteen Lune to more than 600 stores nationwide! Our big news? I am thrilled that Madame Gabriela is part of the collection of brands selected to be on shelves across the country!

For those who do not know, Thirteen Lune is a beauty commerce platform that strives toward inclusivity and economic equality by highlighting brands founded and owned by Black people and people of color. The retailer adopts what they call a "90/10 rule." Of all the brands they carry, 90 percent are created by Black and Brown people like me, who make products for people of all colors. The remaining 10 percent are "ally brands," which have long considered all people in their formulations.

If I am 100% honest with you, this revolutionary retail model is more than just words. It means everything to brown founders like me. If any woman across America wonders, 'can I make a product and compete with multi-nationals?' or 'can I follow my dreams to own a business I love as a person of color or minority?' The answer is a resounding yes!

Of course, you need to know that my dream was more than a vanity wish. The passion behind my brand has always been to bring a non-toxic formula into women's hands across America. This wisdom comes with life learnings: cancer touched women close to me and in my family some years ago, making me start to think about what was in my cosmetics and what it meant to be "clean," and that turned into an interest in formulations. This interest in ingredients is how Madame Gabriela was born. I want women to know how important it is to use non-toxic formulas; made from ingredients that support other women worldwide. Of course, there's much scientific proof of the mood-boosting effects a swipe of bold lipstick has, too, and that's the icing on the cake.

Behind the scenes, their entire Thirteen Lune team, headed by co-founded Nyakio Grieco, is working hard to move the needle for change and diversity. Meeting team members across the country over the past few months has been an unexpected delight for me, detailing JCPenney customers' stories and discovering invaluable information about their needs. But most of all, we can't help but celebrate Nyakio's leadership, helping brands achieve success and thrive.

See you soon, America!
Con mucho amor,
Gabriela 💋💋💋

Back to blog